When I first heard about this particular weight loss secret, I was surprised, because it was so simple. How did I not know this already? After all, I had been in the wellness business my whole life. I should have known. This is the fifth secret I have shared with you and by far, it has been the most elusive.
Anyone who has journeyed through the hurdles of weight loss understands that it is not just about losing the weight. It is also about keeping the weight off. In fact, maintaining weight loss has tormented us throughout history. Many now feel it is simply their destiny to be overweight.
The mere sound of the word diet has become torturous to some and feels restricting and confining to most. When you see it in writing you have an immediate sense that your free will and your breath is being taken away.
But as much as we do understand the complexities of managing our weight, we can finally overlook the words diet and obesity when assessing the problem. Because we now know, it is not the weight that is the problem. It is our lifestyle. It is a flaw in those habits formed, ideals collected, perspectives we have shaped from the physical, emotional and social stumbling blocks life has thrown our way.
Some of our habits were formed from the overwhelming influx of weight control advice. We have tried all the newest diets, listened to the newest research and then through trial and error, we have experienced the yo-yo diet syndrome.
It is our lifestyle that is causing us to be at risk for morbid diseases and yes it is our lifestyle that causes us to carry excess weight. But did you notice? You did not cringe when I said lifestyle. Lifestyle is our way of life. And it is something we can whittle some change into without inflicting suffering upon ourselves. It is understandable. It makes sense. But It also makes us accountable.
We are all in this together. We have created, as a group, acceptable lifestyles. Now as a group we need to talk about how we can evolve into acceptable lifestyles that are healthy. I have a few ideas to hep you get started.
- Lifestyle change has a greater impact on lowering your risk factors
and improving wellness than the process of losing weight. So focus on lifestyle change. Find the things you are willing to change within your life, right now and see this adventure as an evolution into a healthy lifestyle rather than a revolution, adding new goals as you achieve the first.
- Make a pact with family and friends to give up 1-3 bad habits and
adopt 1-3 new habits, each doing only what they are ready to do. One might choose to add one glass of water at dinner or to stretch while watching TV. Perhaps another will be doing interval training. We are all ready for different
- Support everyone participating in this healthy life change while keeping your own focus on your personal goal.
- Understand that we all slip and that is okay. It is the continuation of our pressing forward that counts. The forward momentum of knowing where we
need to go.
- Write your personal goal down in a journal and read it often. It
should be written and read as though it was already achieved.
You might want to lose two pounds this week but it will be written
something like “I am walking for 10-15 minutes twice daily with my dog and we love it. My cloths feel roomy and I feel healthy. Be sure to read it several times daily, celebrate your success and add to the goal when ready.
- If lifestyle change is a serious issue for you, if you have tried to make changes and failed, you owe it to yourself and to your family to work with a wellness coach; because a wellness coach will help you visualize your unlimited possibilities. Because a Wellness coach will help you create reasonable, timed, achievable goals and set your plan into action. And because the wellness coach will help you see your goals achieved successfully and abundantly. Because working with a wellness coach you will feel your infinite potential. You’ll know that you can do anything! Others may doubt you, but you won’t.
That is how dreams and goals manifest themselves. Your determination and motivation will see you further then you’ve ever dreamed. And I know, that with my help, you can do this! Some say they cannot afford a wellness coach. But I say “you can’t afford not to have a wellness coach.” I hope you will take advantage of your FREE CONSULT. I would love to talk with you. If you would like a copy of our Free Online Wellness Newsletter please request it on the contact page.
<CLICK TO CONTACT ME FOR A FREE CONSULT>
- Check the box for the free consult and then leave your email address. Thank you!
Be Well, Nancy Merrifield RN, URMP, CCP
Nancy is a Registered Nurse, Certified Wellness Coach, and Reiki Master, Center for Reiki Research Team Member and has a strong background in Exercise Science and Lifestyle change.